Start a Workflow and Initial Data

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Christian,

these workflow activities are great.  One of my favorites is the "Call a Webservice" activity.  I have used this along with the dws to create directories in an document library when creating list items.  Keep up the great work!

My question here is related to the Start a Workflow activity.  I am unsure of how to use the Initial Data part of this activity and I am hoping that knowing how will resolve the issue I am having starting another Workflow.  I have attempted to use this activity without data and with in the "Initial Data."  In both cases my second Workflow is started but I get an error in the second Workflow.  The only error I get in Workflow Status is "Error Occured".  If I initiate the Workflow manually via the web interface it runs fine.

Please help!  Thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Hello,

please take a look in SharePoint log file to see what causes the error exactly (Stack Trace).

Bye, Christian

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:17 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I am looking at the log files in the 12 hive /logs directory.  I am assuming that is what you are asking for.  There are a lot of events.  Is there any filtering you would like me to do to give you just the pertinent stack traces?

Here is an entry that contains iLoveSharePoint:

Potentially excessive number of SPRequest objects (9) currently unreleased on thread 26. Ensure that this object or its parent (such as an SPWeb or SPSite) is being properly disposed. This object is holding on to a separate native heap. Allocation Id for this object: {41EF352C-425A-4A50-B9F7-487DD30187FB} Stack trace of current allocation: at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPRequestManager.Add(SPRequest request, Boolean shareable) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.CreateSPRequestAndSetIdentity(Boolean bNotGlobalAdminCode, String strUrl, Boolean bNotAddToContext, Byte[] UserToken, String userName, Boolean bIgnoreTokenTimeout, Boolean bAsAnonymous) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitializeSPRequest() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.EnsureSPRequest() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Request() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(Guid webId, String strListName) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(String strListName) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.ItemByInternalName(String strInternalName, Boolean bThrowException) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.GetListById(Guid uniqueID, Boolean bThrowException) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.get_Item(Guid uniqueID) at iLoveSharePoint.Activities.StartWorkflowActivity.<Execute>b__0() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at iLoveSharePoint.Activities.StartWorkflowActivity.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext) at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext) at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(Activity activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext) at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime) at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run() at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowExecutor.RunScheduler() at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowExecutor.RunSome(Object ignored) at System.Workflow.Runtime.Hosting.DefaultWorkflowSchedulerService.WorkItem.Invoke(WorkflowSchedulerService service) at System.Workflow.Runtime.Hosting.DefaultWorkflowSchedulerService.QueueWorkerProcess(Object state) at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack) at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state) 

Coordinator
Mar 30, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Provocate the error and take a look in the most recent log file. Search from bottom to to top for exception or workflow infrastructure.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:12 AM

the second workflow is not get the "Initial Data " too, how do this?