Create a Site Template Argument Error

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Received the following error:

File or arguments not valid for site template '{0CD7C272-C8BD-41E7-A513-098B4EA69982}#Gear1Template'.
Parameter name: WebTemplate

Here is what I have used for workflow action Template using string builder:

{0CD7C272-C8BD-41E7-A513-098B4EA69982}#Gear1Template

I got the GUID from the Solution ID of the solution.

I have seen the powershell command to find the template names, but not too familiar with Powershell and wondering if I have to execute the command on the server as I get the error get-SPweb is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:54 AM

Well, came up with a way to find template names without using powershell: 

Using an idea from the following:  http://meiyinglim.blogspot.com/2007/06/file-or-arguments-not-valid-for-site.html

used the following link off of top level site instead:  http://webiste/_Layouts/AreaTemplateSettings.aspx  This gave me every template including custom templates.  Right clicking on page and viewing source allowed me to see: my custom template: <option value="{67CC7488-6435-4001-B07F-73355ADA873B}#Gear1Template">{67CC7488-6435-4001-B07F-73355ADA873B}#Gear1Template</option>   As well from this you can see all site templates and their template values as well.

Of course, now that I have plugged in the correct template value, the create a site works as planned.

Thanks for this solution as it will be most helpful.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Strange ! This link http://webiste/_Layouts/AreaTemplateSettings.aspx is invalid. I search the page in the folders and it's missing. I work with foundation.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:02 AM

irisline - ok, go to the Site Colection Home Site, select site settings.  Under look and feel section, select page layouts and site templates.  This will give a page with all the available templates.  If you view source on this page and look for the options.......you should find your complete list of templates both out of the box and custom in your site collection.  Hope this works for you. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:06 AM
kriedel wrote:

irisline - ok, go to the Site Colection Home Site, select site settings.  Under look and feel section, select page layouts and site templates.  This will give a page with all the available templates.  If you view source on this page and look for the options.......you should find your complete list of templates both out of the box and custom in your site collection.  Hope this works for you. 

Thank's but under Look adn Feel in Foundation there are no Pages and Layout menu,

Only this:

Look and Feel

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM

A couple questions?

- Sharepoint 2010?

- What is your permission level?  Are you the site collection admin?  Do you have ownership rights at the top level of the Site Collection?  You are not seeing it probably because you do not have the rights or you are not at the site collection/top level.

- If you do not have the site collection/owner of top site of collection, can you have the site collection administrator/farm administrator navigate to this link and

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:03 AM

1- We use Foundation

2- I use the site administrator or  my account the owner of the site collection.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Sorry, wasn't as familiar with Foundation....looks like that option I am using is not available....

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I do exactly what kriedel posts on Aug 15 2011 at 4:54 AM and still I get following error;

File or arguments not valid for site template '{37D0CEEA-1EC3-4E88-8F90-DEB68D5B3F07}#TemplateVerkaveling'.
Parameter name: WebTemplate

All suggestions are welcome 

Thanks,

Filip