This project is read-only.

List Without Title Column

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM
Thanks for creating a way to create a list without the title column, it is always in the way.  The only problem is I installed but I can't see a way to get rid of the column.  Is there supposed to be a delete button?  No matter what I do, it is still there.

Oct 25, 2008 at 11:48 AM
Hi Matt, what do you mean exactly with get rid of the column? Do you mean the title column? Unfortunately you can't delete them, because SharePoint needs it. But there's a way to hide it: Does this solve your issue?
Bye, Christian
Oct 27, 2008 at 1:47 PM
Oh ok, so I downloaded and installed your solution, do I now have to go and add your code to use it?  If so, where do I add this in the code of my page?

= get-spweb http://localhost/websites/myweb
$list = $web.Lists["listTitle"]

$field = $list.Fields["columnTitle"]
$field.ShowInDisplayForm = $false
$field.ShowInEditForm = $false
$field.ShowInListSettings = $false
$field.ShowInVersionHistory = $false
$field.ShowInViewForms = $false
$field.ShowInNewForm = $false



Thanks Again,
Oct 27, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Christian's code is actually PowerShell script. You would load PowerShell on your server box, setup a quick profile using his SharePoint examples (just sets up a couple cmdlets like "get-spweb") and then run the code.

What the script does is run against the SharePoint object model and tweak values for you in the content db. This would get the Title column and hide it from the forms/pages so that it appeared "gone".

I'm new to powershell myself, but his script examples rock. Check it out. Best part, it's free.

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:22 PM
Edited Oct 27, 2008 at 7:23 PM
-- double post -- sorry.
Oct 27, 2008 at 7:22 PM

In reference to the codeplex-mail I just sent you, I tried tweaking the ShowIn... properties on my custom column in hopes of displaying them in the gallery and in list/library settings columns pages, but no luck.

Again, I used your script, but only added my custom column to the Fields collection on rootweb. Is there something more I need to do to ensure this column is usable throughout the entire site collection by all lists and libraries?

Thanks for the help,
Oct 27, 2008 at 7:56 PM
Trey - Thanks for the quick response but I guess I am totally lost, I installed the .wsp solution and now I'm not sure what to do.  What do you mean by set up a profile?

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:29 PM
Hey Matt - I'm not sure what WSP solution you are referring to, but unless I am misunderstood, Christian is posting Powershell solutions... meaning go to Microsoft's site and download powershell - in short, its a scripting engine and syntax language for administrators... it feels intuitive, light weight coding... and it feels like a neat cross-breed between Object Oriented Programming (C#) and Scripting...

Install it on your WSS/MOSS server, and grab a copy of PowerGUI... a free application that provides a script editor for powershell... to get you away from the old-age command line.

Next, start at Christian's first post in the Powershell/Sharepoint groove here... use the script posted there to setup a "profile"... basically it is a script in and of itself that first references the sharepoint object model (Microsoft.SharePoint.dll), sets up some common functions (getweb, etc.) and the some environment variables ($root = your site collection root website,etc.)...

Once that's done, you can copy the script he posted in his comment to you... change the "listTitle" and "columnTitle" variables to suit your needs.

It's much easier than it sounds. Both Powershell and PowerGUI have good documentation that's not intimidating... give it 2-3 hours and you'll be just fine with it.

Good luck.
Oct 27, 2008 at 8:34 PM
I am referring to the the solution listed here  There is a .wsp to download and install and I thought that is all I had to do, just like other solution files. 

Thanks for the further explanation on the shell scripts, I guess I will give that a shot.  I would really like to take care of this frustratin sharepoint issue...

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:56 PM
Can't say on that note, man. Sorry. I'm struggling with a similar issue of trying to create a Title column that has more functionality (link to item, context menu, and required) so that I can ditch the filename link/context menu column and make links and meta data an easier deal for the boneheads that use our site.

I'm new to both Powershell and custome solutions still.

You might uninstall the WSP and try what's listed above.

My suggestion would be to get your profile setup and do lots of little read scripts just so you get an idea of the flow of the object and scripting before you actually change anything... i just poked around saving Field collections to variables, formatting the results of a queried object and using where filters... it was actually kinda fun...

That way if you don't like the results you get from his example above, you can simply reset the values back.